I notice there are now about 120 Digital camera raw formats supported by Mac OS X as of system 10.5.4.
I am trying to get a bit map from these camera files so I am using:

NSBitmapImageRep * imageBitMap = [NSBitmapImageRep imageRepWithContentsOfFile:theFile]

For some raw files (Nikon NEF and Canon CR2) I get a bit map. But for other files (Sony DSLR-A100 ARW file) I get a nil bit map. On the other hand, I notice that the system does support the Sony raw file in some way, since for example:

[[NSImage alloc] initWithContentsOfFile:theFile] does produce an image.

So the question is how to go about reliably getting a bit map reliably form these camera raw files?

Thanks.

Jim Merkel