Core Data does a really good job at what you are describing, when using SQLite as a persistent store, although this may not be what are you looking for.

The only other approach to this that I think of is to cache the objects that change in your model and then only store these objects either directly or by tweaking the NSCoding protocol methods in your model, but then your code will have to be clever enough to know what files or parts will have to retrieve if a revert operation is requested. However, it looks to me too complicated or worthless to follow that route.

If storing your model is really a performance issue, then you might consider going to Core Data and SQLite stores.

Joan Lluch