On Jul 8, 2008, at 8:55 AM, Mike Abdullah wrote:

On 8 Jul 2008, at 15:45, Steve Weller wrote:

On Jul 8, 2008, at 2:28 AM, Mike Abdullah wrote:

On 8 Jul 2008, at 07:10, Steve Weller wrote:

What I am attempting to do is not working. -valueForKey: does not look for methods with -respondsToSelector: to figure out if methods exist sufficient to have KVC. So overriding this has no effect. My only option, it seems, is to use +resolveInstanceMethod and actually create the methods that are needed.

Or, you know, just override -valueForKey: ? NSArray and the other contain classes do just that to get their custom behaviour.

Then I'd need to create an NSArray proxy, probably by subclassing NSArray. This was the way I first thought of and decided not to go that route.

My current thinking is to hard-code -count and -objectForKey (and possibly others) in a helper object, then vend instances of that according to what the array should implement. Each of those objects ultimately gets its data from a single source, so if I change values, all the arrays' customers see the changes. It is likely that I will want KVO compliance one day too and that will not work with the helpers.

Well I am now officially confused. As I understood it, you were writing a class that could have any number of keys, each one of which was a one-to-many relationship. Since the number of keys was undefined, it wasn't possible to write accessor methods for them, and so instead, you were overriding -respondsToSelector: and friends to fool the KVC system into thinking that you had written the appropriate accessor methods.

But, the implementation of -valueForKey: specifically does not use - respondsToSelector:, and so you can't the fool the system that way. And so, I'm suggesting simply overriding -valueForKey: in your custom class in order for it to return a suitable array.

That's my problem. What makes the array "suitable"?

However, from your last mail, it seems I have the wrong end of the stick, as you think it requires overriding -valueForKey: in a custom NSArray subclass. So, um, any chance of some clarification?

If I want to override -valueForKey: and return an array object (as I am supposed to since this is what is expected), then whatever object I return has to behave as an NSArray does. So unless I want to duplicate the functionality of NSArray, I'll have to subclass it.

That's my thinking anyway.

However I now have another idea. I can have a central object that owns the data, say called Machine. Other objects can request object instances, say Shape, from Machine that implement different operations on that data and reference them by a key. Shape objects themselves can implement the to-many accessors, and so can respond to objectForKey for the property I want.

Load the machine up with recipes:
[machine -addRecipe:recipeA forKey:@"circle" withParameter:345];
[machine -addRecipe:recipeB forKey:@"square" withParameter:778];

Ask machine for objects that implement the recipe on the data. These all use the same data stored in the machine instance but process it in different ways.
shape1 = [machine shapeForKey:@"circle"];
shape2 = [machine shapeForKey:@"square"];

Get arrays of the things I am actually interested in. If the data in machine changes, the array data changes. "points" and "lines" have hard-coded to-many accessor methods.
arrayOfPoints = [shape1 valueForKey:@"points"];
arrayOfLines = [shape1 valueForKey:@"lines"];