Sherm Pendley wrote:
On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Kevin Walzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to work through an exercise in the new Hillegass book and am
encountering difficulties. The app fails to build. The relevant code snippet
is below, with errors noted in the comments:

-(IBAction)getCount:(id)sender
{

       NSString *string = [textField stringValue];
       int *stringLength = [string length];  //warning: initialization makes
pointer from integer without a cast

You've declared stringLength as a pointer to an int, then assigned an
integer value to it. You don't want a pointer here, so leave out he *:

    int stringLength = [string length];

       [textLabel setStringValue:@"\"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" is %d characters long",
string,
stringLength]; //error: too many arguments to function 'setStringValue:'

The -setStringValue: method takes one and only one argument. In
particular, it does *not* take a format string and a variable argument
list, as you appear to expect it to do. To do something like that, you
need to break it into two steps:

    NSString *newString = [NSString localizedStringWithFormat:
@"\"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" is %d characters long", string, stringLength];
    [textLabel setStringValue: newString];

sherm--

Sherm,

Thanks to you and everyone else for the clarifications. I have a lot experience with scripting languages (Tcl, Python, AppleScript) but am a relative newbie to C/ObjC.

Regards,
Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer