Jeff,

You can do this but you will need to implement the tooltips yourself using tracking rects (or maybe you can just do it in mouseDown:, I have only done it for cell-based custom views, not sliders) and a custom window class for the tooltips. A tooltip window implementation to start with can be found here:

http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?ToolTip

Todd Ransom
StoryMill & Montage Development
Mariner Software