Whenever I try to add a new item, the app crashes. I don't get the
normal gdb window: instead I get a window that says 'loading stack
frames' and the assembly code. The line that the program seems to be
stuck on is this:

0x92efbfe2  <+0018>  call   0x92efbfe7 <CFBagAddValue+23>

But here's the really strange part: if I have only one column bound to
the array controller (any one: chemid, name, OR description), the whole
thing works fine. I'm completely stumped.

When I build your project, I get:

/tmp/ChemTrak/MyDocument.xcdatamodel: Chemical.description: warning Chemical.description -- property name conflicts with a method already on NSObject or NSManagedObject

That's bad.

You should always review the warnings and eliminate as many as possible. Once you start writing 64 bit code, warnings become synonymous with errors. What were once harmless casting or missing function declarations will just start crashing.

There are approximately 75 reserved property names. Basically anything you see in NSObject.h or NSManagedObject.h. Unfortunately, neither Objective-C nor Key Value Coding have any namespace features to isolate different naming scopes.

Categories people put on NSObject (in frameworks and such) can create more, but imho putting a category on a class whose implementation does not belong to you, in anything besides your own 100% self contained code base, is an error. Regardless, it's rude to pollute our limited global namespace.

- Ben