Hi Professor Savant,

Confirmation that it should work was what I was after, so after reading your
email, I decided to write up a test app, and it happens there, too. This is the
problem distilled to its simplest form. I welcome any feedback, mockery, etc.

If I use the option in (1) below, it works fine. If I use the option in (2),
which is what I WANT to use, no animation occurs until after the mouseup
happens.

-Chilton

- (void) mouseDown: (NSEvent *) theEvent
{
        while (1) {

        theEvent = [[self window] nextEventMatchingMask:(NSAnyEventMask)];
                if (([theEvent type]==NSLeftMouseDragged) ||
                        ([theEvent type]==NSLeftMouseUp) ||
                        ([theEvent type]==NSLeftMouseDown))
                {

                        // (1) If I use this, it works fine. No zooom zooom
though.
                        //[button setFrameOrigin:[theEvent locationInWindow]];

                        // (2) If I use this, it doesn't work.
                        //[[button animator] setFrameOrigin:[theEvent
locationInWindow]];

                        if ([theEvent type]==NSLeftMouseUp) {
                                break;