On Jul 13, 2008, at 11:15 PM, Brad Gibbs wrote:

I'm trying to create a Cocoa app with a single window with a number of views that get swapped in and out, using an NSViewController for each of the views.

I have a series of buttons along the bottom of the UI in a custom view, and another custom view above the row of buttons. When button A is pressed, view A should appear in the custom view above the row of buttons, and button A should be turned on. When button B is pressed, view A should be replaced by View B, button A should turn off and button B should turn on. Ultimately, I'd like to do this with an animation (view A fades out and view B fades in). For now, I'd be happy just replacing A with B.

I haven't been able to find much in the documentation about NSViewController for Cocoa. I have the Hillegass book, but the view swapping example in Chapter 29 is done with a document-based application and the views there are contained in an NSBox:

NSView *v = [vc view];
[box setContentView:v];

I don't know Cocoa well enough to adapt this example for a non- document-based application without an NSBox. Could someone please point me to documentation for NSViewController, other than the NSViewController Reference, or provide me with a quick explanation or example code that will do this? I've read through the Katidev blog on XSViewController and XSWindowController, but, again, that's a document-based example, and it doesn't explicitly provide methods for replacing one view with another.

Thanks in advance.

Brad

There is an example at:
http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/ViewController/index.html

Also what you are describing sounds a lot like an NSTabView with the style set to Bottom Tabs. Try creating one in IB and playing with it. Also look at:
http://developer.apple.com/DOCUMENTATION/Cocoa/Conceptual/TabView/TabView.html
and an example with animation at:
http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/Reducer/index.html

--Nathan