Would it be easy to re-factor your usb stuff to run on a separate thread? In my mind, that's clearly the most robust solution.

Joe K.

On Apr 14, 2006, at 5:50 PM, John Goodman wrote:

I have a timer than needs to fire while the user drags an NSSlider. I have seen solutions that use the NSRunLoop method addTimer:myNSTimer forMode:NSEventTrackingRunLoopMode but my timer is not an NSTimer, it's an MPTimer.

Is there some equivalent solution that will work in my case? I am using the MPTimer API because I need repeatability to a mSec or better, and NSTimer doesn't come close.

What I need to do is both regularly monitor the NSSlider value (I have a custom subclass of NSTimer for other reasons, using a custom NSSliderCell) and regularly write to the USB port (which I'm doing with MPTimer and a MPSetTimerNotify using an MPSemaphore.) It is not critical for me to read the slider completely regularly, but I really need to send data to the USB port as regularly as possible.

This question is going to the cocoa-dev, the mt-smp, and just for the hell of it, the usb list. Thanks to all of you for your help._______________________________________________
http://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/cocoa-dev/joeman%40mac.com