You might want to look into Postgresql instead. It's much nicer than MySQL at doing desktop applications stuff, and you can even "subscribe" to rows and have the server notify you when changes occur. This makes it much easier to keep clients in sync. MySQL is not great for doing desktop apps.

CoreData can't really be centralized on a server. You could try using distributed objects, but you're going to loose KVO if you go that route.

-Colin