On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 19:36:29 -0700, "James W. Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
said:

>On Jul 14, 2008, at 9:34 AM, Matt Neuburg wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 21:29:56 -0700, "James W. Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> >
>> said:
>>> I have a preferences dialog that I'm using with an
>>> NSUserDefaultsController instance, my first use of bindings, and it
>>> works.  But I want to post a notification when a certain setting
>>> changes.  In my method that shows the dialog, I record the old value
>>> of the setting.  In my action method for the OK button, I send a save
>>> message to the defaults controller  (the "applies immediately" option
>>> is off), send a synchronize message to the NSUserDefaults, then check
>>> the value of the setting and compare it to the old value.  But the
>>> value has not changed!  It obviously gets changed at some point,
>>> because the next time I bring up the dialog, the new value has is
>>> there.  What am I missing?
>>
>> What you're doing is unnecessarily complicated. Just use KVO to
>> observe the
>> desired value within the standardUserDefaults. You get a notification
>> contining the old value and the new value. Welcome to the world of
>> bindings.
>

>I think I considered KVO, but I looked in the NSUserDefaults
>reference, and didn't see any indication that it conforms to
>NSKeyValueObserving.

Nevertheless, what I suggested does work. Let me know if you need me to send
you a working code example.

>I still wish I understood why the default hadn't changed after the
>save and synchronize

Let's not go there. The "synchronize" was unnecessary and in any case you
didn't show any code so it's impossible to say what the problem was. In
future, if you do want help, show code. m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = [EMAIL PROTECTED], <http://www.tidbits.com/matt/>
A fool + a tool + an autorelease pool = cool!