On 16-Jul-08, at 7:33 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

  If there's no Flash on the iphone,

And we all can daily sing hosannas of praise for that!

 I'm just looking to go to a URL and an
animation fills the screen and is playing, no quicktime control bar or
anything and preferably vector graphics rather than video. I tried an
animated GIF but that doesn't fill the screen on the iphone, and worse
it doesn't play.

For animated GIF type stuff except better, the <canvas> tag is your friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canvas_(HTML_element)

... one alternative would be to write an iphone
app which receives vector info and reproduces the animation with
quartz or opengl graphics.  But that's like writing a whole flash-
player type thing and maybe there's something like that already?

Indeed there would be! It would be the infinitely superior alternative to Flash that Adobe came up with before they decided that it was easier to buy Macromedia than beat them; and yea, it shalt be called "SVG".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Vector_Graphics

Don't know if support for SVG made it to the currently shipping Mobile Safari, but you should be able to google up some test pages without any difficulty. If it's not there now, it'll get there sooner or later I don't doubt.

In the meantime, should you be impatient, I don't doubt that an SVG -> CoreGraphics translator would be pretty straightforward to write in Cocoa of any flavour. Speaking from near-complete ignorance there, of course.

--
Alex Curylo -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- http://www.alexcurylo.com/

"Dude ... you are the man! I wish the guys writing our PC version
 could be as efficient as you!"  -- Jason Carter, autolycus.com