On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 2:52 PM, Chad Harrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a fairly complex NSPredicate which works correctly, but I am trying
> to compound it with with a subpredicate that contains a logical NOT. I have
> tried using many combinations of the predicate syntax, but I can't seem to
> get it working. What I am trying to do it exclude files from being picked up
> based on an NSArray of names
>

>From the content of your predicate, it looks like you're running a
Spotlight query (NSMetadataQuery), as such, the spotlight-dev list
might be a better place for this.

The Spotlight query syntax the the NSPredicate syntax aren't quite the
same, and the behind-the-scenes conversion leaves a bit to be desired.
I remember running into a situation similar to what you're trying a
while ago, and eventually giving up and construcing my own Spotlight
query strings and using MDQuery to run them.

<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/Predicates/Articles/pSpotlightComparison.html>

Do you get the error if you change your predicates to:
kMDItemFSName != %@

Some else to keep in mind is that there is (or, was the last time I
checked---10.4) an upper-limit to the length of Spotlight queries. If
this list of files is going to get BIG, then you may want to
re-consider your approach, or do the filtering after you have the
results.

Phil