Should I also use NSRunLoop?

Whether you have to do something with run loops depends on what exactly you want to do. Maybe the default behaviour you get by using one of the -scheduledTimer... methods is already what you need.

Take a look at the docs for NSTimer and NSRunLoop:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/Timers/Timers.html
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/InputControl/InputControl.html

Also, the signature, "- (void)doSomething:(NSTimer *)theTimer" is confusing me. Where should I use it? Should I use it in the same [NSTimer scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval.....] place, or should I use it in the - (IBAction)startWatch place?

Again, take a look at the docs.
An NSTimer fires after the time you specified. When you are using a timer, you want a certain method to be called after the time you set. This method is the one you specify when creating your timer, whereas this method must have a certain signature to work. Obviously, you don't call this method directly, it will be called when your timer fires.