Le 22 juil. 08 à 06:21, Marcel Weiher a écrit :

On Jul 21, 2008, at 13:03 , Philippe Mougin wrote:
Le 21 juil. 08 à 20:50, Markus Spoettl a écrit :

I'm wondering if there is a general rule or mechanism that suggests what to do in such a case. For instance, how are delegates implemented in AppKit, are they retained? If so, when are they released. It can't be in -dealloc, otherwise everything would lock itself out of deallocation?

In the general case, there is no rule or mechanism to deal with retain cycles other than implementing something equivalent to a garbage collector. In some situations, however, the specific semantics and life-cycle of the objects you are dealing with allow implementing more simpler, ad hoc solutions (e.g., ownership management in the view hierarchy). Still, this requires notable housekeeping efforts and is often error prone. If you are in a situation where you can make use of Cocoa's garbage collector, you should go for it. It will free you from a bunch of low-level memory management tasks, including having to care about cyclic references.

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1035292.1028982

"Tracing and reference counting are uniformly viewed as being fundamentally different approaches to garbage collection that possess very distinct performance properties. We have implemented high-performance collectors of both types, and in the process observed that the more we optimized them, the more similarly they behaved - that they seem to share some deep structure. We present a formulation of the two algorithms that shows that they are in fact duals of each other. Intuitively, the difference is that tracing operates on live objects, or "matter", while reference counting operates on dead objects, or "anti-matter". For every operation performed by the tracing collector, there is a precisely corresponding anti-operation performed by the reference counting collector.

Using this framework, we show that all high-performance collectors (for example, deferred reference counting and generational collection) are in fact hybrids of tracing and reference counting. We develop a uniform cost-model for the collectors to quantify the trade-offs that result from choosing different hybridizations of tracing and reference counting. This allows the correct scheme to be selected based on system performance requirements and the expected properties of the target application."

Well said!

There are also interesting bits in their conclusion:

"This explains why highly optimized tracing and reference counting collectors have surprisingly similar performance characteristics. In the process we discovered some interesting things: a write barrier is fundamentally a feature of reference counting; and the existence of cycles is what makes garbage collection inherently non-incremental: cycle collection is “trace-like”."

Of course, in Objective-C, one must keep in mind that while they share some "deep structure", the reference counting model we have is manual whereas the tracing collector is automatic.

Philippe Mougin