On Jul 22, 2008, at 3:13 PM, Martin Wierschin wrote:

Hi Gerd,

[..]

In your case I would worry about the call sequence when line fragments are calculated. There's no guarantee that each fragment will only be swept out once and in an order sorted by vertical position. Especially if you have noncontiguous layout enabled. I think it would be much safer to have your implementation of lineFragmentRectForProposedRect:etc: do some simple geometric tests, eg:

I realize that my example made certain unsafe assumptions, and your way is a better one. I had a similar method in place at one time, but I ran into some confusion with flipped coordinate systems that has since been solved. I made a note to revisit that.

However in the few cases where I was able to reproduce the problem, the call order was as expected and identical to the cases when the problem does not occur (and even a hardcoded fixed offset for all lines was not honored). I simply meant to offer anecdotal evidence that under Leopard there appears to have been (or still is) a rarely triggered circumstance where text rendering behaves oddly. And in a hard to figure out problem every little shred of information might lead to a solution...

Thanks for your suggestion!

Gerd