I'm trying to add a perspective view to GeekGameBoard, my board-game framework. I apply a rotation about the X axis, concatenated with a perspective transform, to the NSView's root layer; this tilts the board "away from" the screen, giving a more normal viewing angle. So far so good.

The problem I'm running into is that when the board is tilted this way, it looks more realistic to use pieces whose icons already incorporate a perspective effect, as a lot of icons do. That hides the fact that the pieces are flat. But the pieces then need to be drawn directly face-on to the screen, i.e. not in the same plane as the game board. I do this by setting each board square's sublayerTransform to a rotation about the x axis that's the opposite of the board's.

When I implement this, I get the wrong results. It looks like the pieces do get rotated, but then they're projected flat onto the board layer, so when the board tilts back it's clear that it's still flat but with distorted pieces drawn on it.

As far as I can tell I'm doing everything correctly. Now I'm worried that there's some undocumented limitation in CA itself that prevents a layer from lying in a different 3D plane than its superlayer. Is that so? Any way to work around it?

—Jens