On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 8:33 AM, Phillip Jacobs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is there anything particularly wrong with NSLog statements being in a
> release package? Performance wise? Security wise? Just wondering the root of
> the question.

1) Possible performance issue (just burning CPU for something not
helping the user).
2) Possible battery issue because your logging keeps disk spun up.
3) You application is likely larger then it needs to be.
4) You clutter the users console log with things that they likely
don't benefit from.
5) You could be spraying out "private" information that others could
snoop (depending on what you log).
...etc...

For our products have a logging system of our own (may retool it to
use ASL on Mac OS X) that has a few logging levels defined and based
on logging level will only output what is needed for that level or
below. Additionally any private information (passwords, sensitive
information, etc.) is logged using a special "private" macro that is
only compiled in for internal builds.

-Shawn