Warning: Blatant self serving plug:

  Target/Action, Delegates, and Notifications are all software design patterns.
 They aren't even unique to Cocoa, but Cocoa has particularly elegant
implementations.

  You can read/review all about these patterns and more including analysis of
the motivations for using them, pros and cons, examples of their usage in
Cocoa, and sometimes examples of how to re-implement them from scratch.  See
http://safari.informit.com/9780321591210

  I had previously assumed that readers wouldn't care how to re-implement most
patterns from scratch because Cocoa already provides reusable implementations.
There is no reason to re-implement them.  However, I have been receiving
feedback from reviewers that they like the sample re-implementations.  They
tell me that seeing code helps them understand even though the code samples I
provide are not the same as the code within Cocoa.

  If you don't want to spend any money, Apple's own documentation describes
some of the Cocoa design patterns.  A specific comparison of Delegates vs.
Notifications is available at
http://www.stepwise.com/Articles/Technical/2000-03-03.01.html

  A simple Google search is always illuminating:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cocoa+delegate

  For people who know .Net, there is this nice article among others:
http://dotnet.sys-con.com/read/375743.htm