I'm having a hard time understanding return values and maybe messaging in general. I've looked through Programming in Objective-C, Hillegass Third Edition and through Apple's documentation, but don't seem to know enough to find the answer or a proper example I can implement.

I have a view controller that handles button presses, tracks variables and updates button states and text fields for a number of devices represented on the UI. A button press

- (IBAction)statusQuery:(id)sender;

sends a message from the view controller to an object named device. The device object has a method

- (NSString *)statusQuery {
        [webServer getVariableValueByName:@"status"];
}

webServer is an instance of a class that handles HTTP Posts to a web server on my local network via NSURLConnection. This is working well and webServer is getting the expected responses and logging them to the console. But, I can't figure out how to send the response string from the connectionDidFinishLoading method of the webServer object back to the device's statusQuery method, which needs to parse the response and send the parsed response back to the view controller to update the UI.

I'm hoping for a generic message that can send any response back to any object that invokes the NSURLConnection method. connectionDidFinishLoading is set to return (NSString *). Is it possible to have the delegate method connectionDidFinishLoading send its response back to the object that invoked the NSURLConnection request? If so, what is the proper syntax?

Thanks.

Brad