Howdie,

I'm playing around with the NSToolTipAttribute in attributed strings and I seem to be finding that the attribute is not written to the pasteboard when I cut/paste or drag text around in an NSTextView. Is this a known issue?

Checking Google I discovered that back in 2004 it was reported that tool tip attributes are not saved to disk when the attributed string is written out as rich text. I haven't checked whether this is still the case, but it seems like a related issue.

(Eventually, I will want to save the tool tip attribute, but I think I can figure this out archiving the attributed string instead of writing rtf.)

If it is the case that tool tips aren't written to the pasteboard along with the rtf that normally is, could someone confirm this? I'm also exploring a workaround and was wondering if someone could chime in. Could I override writablePasteboardTypes and associated methods to add the tooltip attribute to the pasteboard myself? I'd then have to read it back in when the drag or paste is complete, something I'm willing to work on if this is the most straightforward approach.

Some context: I'm trying to store notes (eg endnotes, footnotes, margin notes) in an attributed string. The tooltip seems ideally suited to the purpose but I'm running into these limitations. I've also considered using a special url and the NSLinkAttribute. Might there be a better way to embed notations into an attributed string?

~Phil