Aha, that makes sense, pity it's not in the documentation I was referring to: http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/ApplicationKit/Classes/NSScroller_Class/Reference/Reference.html#/ /apple_ref/doc/uid/20000340-1956
I'll fill in the feedback.
(alas, I'll have to have a little compatibility method since we're still supporting 10.4).

I have to use NSScroller directly because I'm porting existing (foreign platform XX) view code to work in an NSView, and it manages scrollbars itself (for good reason).

Anyone have any comments on the orientation issue? I'll mention that in my documentation feedback...

thanks for the info
Rua HM.