Hi,
I'm fairly sure that this isn't possible without hooking into private methods
of NSLayoutManager, but it's worth asking on the off-chance...
In a standard rich text NSTextView, the ruler view has an accessory view
provided by NSLayoutManager. This accessory view has several handy controls in
it - a styles pop-up menu, a lists pop-up menu, an alignment segmented control
and so forth. However, for my own app I'm overriding NSLayoutManager to get rid
of this accessory view. Instead, I'm providing a Pages-like format bar; the
reason for this is that, given that you can split the editor in my app and
therefore have two text views visible, you can also have two accessory views
visible which can take up more screen estate than necessary; having the same
controls in one bar that affects both text views will take up less space and
provide a less cluttered experience. Adding most of the controls to this format
bar is straightforward - bold, italic, underline, foreground/background colour,
alignment etc are all relatively easy. However, it seems that there is no way
of grabbing a list of available
 styles in order to provide a styles menu like the one that appears in the
standard accessory view (nor no way of grabbing the lists menu, for that
matter). I can just create a button that calls -orderFrontStylesPanel: if
necessary, but this will involve more steps for the user (having to go through
the sheet to get to the menu), and I'd really just like to provide a list of
styles like the one in the standard NSLayoutManager accessory view.
Is there any way of doing this? As I say, from surveying the docs and searching
online, I don't think it's possible - I think these lists and how the menus are
generated by NSLayoutManager's accessory view are all contained in private
methods - but I'd love to discover I'm wrong.
Many thanks in advance and all the best,
Keith