There's been some discussion on this topic previously, but I haven't been able to find the solution that I'm looking for. I'm using the event-driven XML parser (CFXMLParser). Apparently it does not support the replacement of entity references (&amp, &lt, &gt, etc..).
So assume I'm trying to parse the following XML tag:

<title>Planes, Trains, &amp Automobiles</title>

When the parser enters the <title> node, it calls the createStructure callback function three times. Each time it has the following data within the node that is passed in:

Call #1: "Planes, Trains, "
Call #2: "&amp"
Call #3: " Automobiles"

A similar thing happens in the addChild callback function.

I understand that I need to do manual replacement of the &amp with a "&" in this case, but I still don't understand how I'm supposed to maintain the state in between the three calls to createStructure and addChild so that I can successfully concatenate all three text segments together to form the original string (which is what I want to store). I hope this makes sense - it's terribly frustrating.

As always, thanks in advance.