On Jul 27, 2008, at 9:56 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

When attempting to use NSPopupButton and bindings to
NSArrayController, as a means to navigate an array of objects, is
there any tutorial or example out there?

  I don't believe specifically for your case (ie, an NSPopUpButton),
but this list's archives contain various (attempts at) textual
explanations.

I keep getting "cannot perform operation without a managed object
context"
This would seem to imply that I should be using CoreData.

  In Interface Builder, inspect the Attributes of your array
controller. You'll see a mode control that lets you specify whether to
use a Class or an Entity. You most likely have Entity selected (which
requires a MOC, as the error says). Select "Class" instead.

Is CoreData really the way to go when trying to do much more with
bindings ?

  No. The two interoperate very well by design but are not mutually
inclusive.

--
I.S.
Well, I already checked that, it is Class, not Entity. I'm already aware that Entity is used with Core Data models.

NSArrayController provides some nifty methods, selectNext: and selectPrevious: but I need a select: that chooses a specific item from the array. Either by index or what have you. I did find setSelectionIndex: in NSArrayController's header, but I had to do some awkward things to make it work. I created an IBOutlet for my array controller, set the Interface Builder instance as that outlet, then was able to set the action of the NSPopupButton to a method in MyDocument which wraps setSelectionIndex: and passes the selection from the NSPopupButton to it. Obviously, I've already built this app with my own glue code. So I know how it can work. I've got my own reference, I just need to make more sense of bindings to make the NSPopupButton sync well with my array of text objects. My textView should change its contents to match selection. I can create new objects for the view. Heck, I can even make it work mostly, using a simple, single column tableView to do selections, but that gives trouble with nextKeyView.