Hi there,

I've come across a somewhat unique problem with writing frameworks, that I seem unable to find good information about with google. :/

Maybe one of you cocoa luminaries can shed some light on this.

My problem is this:
I have a framework which defines some objects. However I also build from the same source code some command-line tools which reuse that code.

Now, those shell-tools have to be deployed on 10.3.9 in an environment where I can't ship the frameworks with them (due to space constraints : ( ).

Now my problem is this: How do I include the headers in that framework to achieve these goals: a) I don't want to treat public and private headers differently (Since this framework has come to existance by refactoring, it currently has way to many public headers that I am gradually dropping - but that's another story) b) I want to be able to use those objects and their header as is in the framework and in shell tools. (To keep those small and not have to ship the framework and all it's dependencies with the tools)

Well, a) has led me to include all headers, public or not by just using the framework form:

#import <FrameworkName/Header.h>

This works pretty well - but it also gives me a headache with b) as the compiler seems unable to find those headers and I had to switch some of the includes back to

#import "Header.h"

To make this work.

So I now have the practical problem, that I want and need to re-use some of the code in the framework outside of the context of a framework.

Is there a nice solution to this problem?

cu Martin
p.s.: if all else fails, I know that I can always write a macro that just generates the include form that I need - however I'd really like to not do that if there is another way. :/