Which "options" argument are you talking about? I just do the following and it works as advertised.

[[NSWorkspace sharedWorkspace] performFileOperation:NSWorkspaceRecycleOperation source:parentDirOfFile destination:@"" files:[NSArray arrayWithObject:@"fileName"] tag:nil]

The only slightly irritating bit is that you have to supply the file name and the parent directory. You can't just pass it a path for some reason.

Keep destination as the empty string (not nil) and your file will be renamed as required when it hits the trash.

Mark