This is not a good approach for a number of reasons.

First, Unicode distinguishes between a "code point" (an encoded character), a "code unit" (one 16-bit unichar), and a "grapheme cluster" (what the user thinks of as a character). They're all different. A grapheme cluster may consist of one or more code points, which in turn may each consist of one or two code units. You need to use [NSString rangeOfComposedCharacterAtIndex:] to find the boundaries of an end-user character.

Second, %c means "a single byte in the current legacy encoding". Since characterAtIndex: returns a 16-bit code unit, you want %C, not %c.

Anyone who is considering writing code that looks through the contents of an NSString (as opposed to just treating the whole string as a unit) needs to learn the basics of processing Unicode.

http://www.unicode.org/faq/

Deborah Goldsmith
Apple Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]