John Love wrote:

I still need to figure out if it is possible for Excel to communicate back to my app via some sort of NSNotification.

Very much doubt it, though you always can try Tildesoft's Notification Watcher just to be sure. Depending on the sort of operation it is that you're wanting to monitor (i.e. if it's something that doesn't block the main event loop), you may be able to poll Excel via its Apple event interface; clumsy, but better than nothing. For more specific advice and suggestions, write up a complete description of what you need to do, and try asking on the AppleScript-users list as well as that's where most Excel scripters can be found.

I don't have much hope of that .. so what I probably need to focus on is how to display the Excel spreadsheet in my document window.
I suspect what you really want is Windows, where Office is a major embeddable application framework in itself. ;) Failing that, there are third-party Excel parsers around for various language if all you want to do is display the spreadsheet post- processing, and don't forget stuff like OpenOffice which contain full- blown spreadsheet engines and Excel file importers/exporters. Really though, what's best/practical/possible all depends on what you're trying to do, so if you want more advice then you'll need to provide more information.

HTH

has
--
Control AppleScriptable applications from Python, Ruby and ObjC:
http://appscript.sourceforge.net