Am 12.08.2008 um 22:26 schrieb patrick machielse:

Now I find myself having to deploy to a platform where not even this feeble API is available. I've been investigating alternatives, and found the gSOAP library, which at the moment looks like the best candidate. However, ideally I would like to use a pure Cocoa solution, or a project which has existing Cocoa wrappers. Does anyone have experiences with gSOAP on OS X, or know of a good alternative?

a.) it works but can be hell if you have to debug, especially if you have to load 100kb+ generated source files in Xcode.

b.) IANAL, but a Cocoa enabled platform w/o WSCore might be in conflict with the GPL the royalty-free usage of gSOAP demands IIRC.

c.) Alternatives also depend on how many calls the target API has.

i.e. Setting up and compiling gSOAP takes some time.
Packet-sniffing the communication of <http://www.ditchnet.org/soapclient/ > and creating the comm with a combination of printf' to a XML template string, NSURLRequest and parsing results with libXML takes another amount of time. Sometimes the later is more effective (e.g. for some primitive "gimme weather at ZIP code 12345" SOAP API).

SOAP was meant to be simple (the S in SOAP), and just became hard to deal with due to some overengineered parameter / packet format. With packet-to-send templates it should be straightforward to handle.

Regards,
        Tom_E