On 16 Aug 2008, at 1:36 am, Graham Cox wrote:

I need to figure out why the second table works even though I'm not doing anything special (and none of the autosave stuff you mentioned either).

OK, very simple: it was set in the nib. I didn't realise that presetting this in the nib was possible, so I must have set it up that way more or less by accident. OK, my understanding has improved... (Thanks!)

Now I have a new problem which is somewhat related (same tables and to do with these sort descriptors).

Table has two columns, one of which contains strings, the other, checkboxes. I set up a sort descriptor for the strings column and that works great. Then I came to add a sort descriptor to the checkbox column. This requires a custom compare method so I wrote one, then set that up as the sort descriptor's selector, with 'self' as the keyed property.

Something weird happens in IB. As soon as I add this information to the column, my two column headers seem to get locked together - they both turn blue at the same time, and clicking either one inverts both of them together. I can't seem to fix this - even scrapping the table and starting over I end up in the same fix. This is in IB long before my own code gets a shot at it - and when it does it's the same story - the columns lock together.

What on earth is going on, and how to fix it?

tia,

Graham