On Aug 19, 2008, at 12:04, David Alter wrote:

I'm a little confused on the mouse tracking. I have a view and I want to track when the mouse enters and exits it. If I set setAcceptsMouseMovedEvents to true for my window, (void)mouseMoved: (NSEvent *)theEvent will get called. But, - (void)mouseEntered: (NSEvent *)theEvent and - (void)mouseExited:(NSEvent *)theEvent will not. Am I correct in my understanding that I need to create a NSTrackingArea for these events to get called?

Yes, create a tracking area, but *don't* setAcceptsMouseMovedEvents:YES.

Both mechanisms result in mouseMoved events, but you only want the events produced by the tracking area. (Well, you may not want mouseMoved events at all, just mouseEntered and mouseExited, but you tell the tracking area which of its possible events you want.)