On Aug 20, 2008, at 8:19 AM, Charlie Dickman wrote:

"view" is an NSView and method is not spelled wrong. As I said, I can call it just fine with [view performSelector at run-time.

And the method you are calling is declared in NSView.h?

If the method is your own method declared in a subclass, then you will need to change view's declaration from NSView* to YourClass*

The compiler doesn't check -performSelector:... or - respondsToSelector: etc.

I call lock focus whenever I'm drawing outside the purview of drawRect. This is the way the documentation says to do it.

I'm missing something here. Are you drawing content outside of - drawRect: ? This is not recommended. This would almost guarantee some performance hits.

And I am writing a 2d game and things that need to be clicked on are constantly being updated but the display does not match the internal game conditions so the appropriate objects can not be selected.

First get everything working, using the conventional techniques in the Cocoa docs. Then spend a couple of weeks performance tuning it.