Sounds like TextEdit is an NSDocument-based app. I'm not familiar with those, but I see NSDocument has a -displayName method whose documentation says:

"If the document has been saved, the display name is the last component of the directory location of the saved file (for example, “MyDocument” if the path is “/tmp/MyDocument.rtf”). If the document is new, NSDocument makes the display name “Untitled n,” where n is a number in a sequence of new and unsaved documents. The displayable name also takes into account whether the document’s filename extension should be hidden. Subclasses ofNSWindowController can override windowTitleForDocumentDisplayName:to modify the display name as it appears in window titles."

This would explain why you didn't see an explicit call to -setTitle: in the code -- that's taken care of by the framework. You can override to customize the framework's default behavior.

--Andy