I forgot to mention that you'll have to force the Dock to re-load its preferences after fooling around like this.

I really only know how to do this through the terminal or through AppleScript, although I'm sure there are other ways to do it

Here's an example of an AppleScript:

NSString *quitSource = @"tell application \"/System/Library/ CoreServices/Dock.app\" to quit"; NSAppleScript *quitScript = [[NSAppleScript alloc] initWithSource:quitSource];
        NSDictionary *theError = [[NSDictionary alloc] init];

        [quitScript executeAndReturnError:&theError];

- Ken