On 27 Aug 2008, at 4:36 pm, Markus Spoettl wrote:

On Aug 26, 2008, at 8:58 PM, Graham Cox wrote:
0,3,2,1

would mean from the root, take the zeroth subitem, then the third, then the 2nd, then the 1st to arrive at the node at that point. An empty list (0 length) addresses the root node itself.

I'm not commenting on your idea, it's just that this very much sounds like NSIndexPath and since you didn't mention the name, I thought you may not know about the existence of this class (according to docs this is 10.4+). It's used to set selection index paths in NSTreeControllers.

Indeed, I didn't know about it. Looks perfect! Thanks :)

It also somewhat vindicates my design since it's the same basic concept - the details differ but it looks the like a reasonable approach.

Graham