On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 1:30 PM, mmalc crawford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Aug 27, 2008, at 9:33 AM, Michael Ash wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 5:30 AM, Amy Heavey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I use an application that I believe is written using CoreData. It is
>>> currently quite tedious to enter data into this application, and the data
>>> need entering is already in a mysql database anyway. I'd like to be able
>>> insert this data directly into the SQLite database the application uses.
>>
>> Nothing prevents you from programmatically manipulating your CoreData
>> store. CoreData is not a GUI-only technology. Get your data into some
>> format that your CoreData app can read, and write some code to blast
>> it into your store. This is much more foolproof, and probably easier,
>> than trying to manipulate the SQLite database directly.
>>
> To take that a step further, in principle there shouldn't be any need to
> create an intermediate format -- you should be able to write a utility (with
> or without a GUI) that reads the data from the MySQL database using its
> native library and create and store managed objects directly.  See
> <http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/CoreData/Articles/cdImporting.html>
> for hints as to how to do this efficiently.

True enough. I was thinking of an intermediate format as being the
simpler approach, as I would personally be more comfortable doing that
(having never used MySQL from ObjC but being reasonably familiar with
using it from the more traditional languages). But you're exactly
right that you could do it all in a single program instead.

Mike