The display bit did the trick and with all the computing going on, the updating is still responsive. Thanks to Randall for the tips.

Martin Stoufer wrote:
I totally forgot about the 'display' call. I will try that as a first pass. As for refactoring, that IS the long term solution to the problem, but the legacy code is like a pool of mud when it comes to moving it around. I will need a shot of courage before I dive into that.