You need to use NSXMLNode itself, and not NSXMLElement (since text nodes aren't elements). [NSXMLNode textWithStringValue:someString] or - [[NSXMLNode alloc] initWithKind:NSXMLTextKind], followed by - setStringValue:. Then just addChild: or insertChild:atIndex: with your new text node as normal.

HTH