On Aug 28, 2008, at 2:40 PM, Corbin Dunn wrote:

On Aug 28, 2008, at 1:48 PM, Ricky Sharp wrote:

On Aug 28, 2008, at 3:28 PM, Nathan Vander Wilt wrote:

According to two list postings (http://lists.apple.com/archives/cocoa-dev/2007/Nov/msg01760.html , http://lists.apple.com/archives/cocoa-dev/2007/Nov/ msg01764.html) both by Apple employees, overlapping sibling subviews are fully supported in Leopard (and presumably beyond).

However, the official documentation (http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/CocoaViewsGuide/WorkingWithAViewHierarchy/chapter_5_section_5.html ) still says: "Cocoa does not enforce clipping among sibling views or guarantee correct invalidation and drawing behavior when sibling views overlap. If you want a view to be drawn in front of another view, you should make the front view a subview (or descendant) of the rear view."

And Interface Builder 3.1 on the one hand has options like "Layout > Send to Front" that change the ordering of subviews, yet on the other still warns about "Illegal geometry" when a view overlaps one of its siblings even when the deployment target is set to 10.5.

I can't find anything in the documentation (or even release notes) that describes that/how overlapping views are supported. Why isn't this documented? Can we rely on overlapping sibling views working now and in the future? Are there any caveats we should be aware of?

I believe that Apple relaxed the rules to allow CoreAnimation layers to work correctly. Whether or non a non-layered UI fully supports overlapping sibling views, I do not know.

Please do log bugs requesting the documentation to be enhanced. Overlapping views do work in Leopard+, with or without layers. However, a sibling layered view will always be on top of a sibling non-layered view.

corbin

Are you saying that overlapped sibling views composite correctly with regard to z-order, clipping and invalidation? If so this contradicts the results of a test I performed earlier this year where it was fairly simple to get z fighting (this on 10.5 system). Are there special requirements, other than 10.5, for this to work?