On Aug 30, 2008, at 8:08 PM, Mr. Gecko wrote:

Hello I am making a program that does a really hard calculation and it seems to crash after 60 Minutes. I don't really know why it does, I am guessing it is because I am using a for loop that takes awhile to run (an estaminet of 120 MInutes every time it loops). so I was hoping someone will be able to help me fix it.
Here is the error I am getting.
cal(18129,0xa00c9074) malloc: *** mmap(size=16777216) failed (error code=12)
*** error: can't allocate region
Trace/BPT trap

Note I have tried doing it on other machines and it still crashes.

Thanks for help and tips,
Mr. Gecko

Hi! It sounds as though you've run out of available memory. Is it possible that your program is not releasing allocated objects? If you're using autoreleased objects in the loop, does creating and destroying an autorelease pool each at run-through (or draining the pool, if you're using Garbage Collection under Leopard) alleviate the problem?

Cheers,
        Andrew