I came across tutorial code that looked sort of like this:

NSMutableDictionary * myCollection;
myCollection = [[NSArray alloc] initWithObjects:@"a", @"b", @"c", nil];

The types are not the same. So my first question is, is this a bug? And if so, why didn't the compiler catch it? I come from C# so unless NSMutableDictionary inherits NSArray this logic would not compile.

If it is not a bug, can someone confirm that NSDictionary is not just used for key/value pairs but as simple list types, too? Otherwise, why would myCollection above be declared as an NSMutableDictionary?

Thanks,
Jon