Help.

I was about to send my client a new version of the app, and the main thing I just thought I fixed has completely stopped working. Sheesh.

What the app does is launch a memory and cpu intensive command line program and monitor its progress. It I run the CLP separately, I see it outputs its progress as text to the Terminal window it was launched from. If I run my app via Xcode, either the release or debug version, and cause it to do that sublaunch, my app grabs that output, which I use to update the progress bars. That part works fine. Usually.

Now the problem. If I shut down Xcode and launch my app and sublaunch the CLP, no progress info gets to my app, and nothing appears in the console window. The CLP does its work okay, I can see the resulting output file, but the console communications are on hold until it is done, when all the progress info gets poured into the console at once. I need that console output, why is it being held hostage?

Okay, this has me stumped. Does Xcode somehow pipe the output of the CLP to my app when it is present, and when its not there that pipe is never "hooked up"? This CLP is a major hog, it grabs 85+% of the CPU when it runs, does that make a difference? I thought my app would work better if Xcode was not using half the available memory itself.

Anyone have any ideas what to look at here? I am using an NSTask wrapper class (TaskWrapper) I adapted from the Moriarity sample to do the sublaunch and monitoring stuff. ( I have a fix for it under Leopard which I will report on later, just to try to put something back into the pot.)

This is gonna hold up my paycheck!

Paul