On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Don Arnel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks, everyone. I guess I'm going the pointer/malloc way.

This is surely the right thing to do.  However, it _is_ possible to
allocate a dynamic amount of space inline with your object, it just
doesn't play well with anyone else doing the same.  Check out the
second argument of NSAllocateObject.

"""
Creates and returns a new instance of a given class.

id NSAllocateObject (
   Class aClass,
   NSUInteger extraBytes,
   NSZone *zone
);
Parameters
aClass
The class of which to create an instance.

extraBytes
The number of extra bytes required for indexed instance variables
(this value is typically 0).

zone
The zone in which to create the new instance (pass NULL to specify the
default zone).
"""

If you pass something larger than zero for extraBytes, a larger than
normal chunk of memory will be malloc'd for the object, and you get
some extra space off past all the normally defined instance variables.
 You can retrieve a pointer to this memory with the runtime function
object_getIndexedIvars.

It's probably only a good idea to use this with direct subclasses of
NSObject, if at all.  A few Cocoa classes do actually make use of this
trick, and if you and someone else both think they own the space, bad
things will happen.

-Ken