IMO, the size of a string with font attribute is an intrinsic property
determined only by the string and the font(and the layout of the
string on the view, but here let's fix the layout to one single line);
and the view used to render the attributed string should have a
reasonalby bigger size to hold the whole string. In other words, one
could have a good guess of the view size from the attributed string
size.

So, if my understanding of these two metrics is right, how can they
differ so much? Was I using the wrong APIs?

If my understanding is wrong, can you tell me what's the exact
relationship between these two metrics?