so far so good. But when I change the "initWithPath" to "initWithPath:@"/Volumes/MyDisk/path/to/any/directory", as Ben said, i want the same behaviour like with the "/" only, but a tree from my path there. But this does not happen. Instead, i get a single row with the last path component with NO triange on the side, so this is kind of useless.

Does anyone know why this happens?

Erm... hi...

The problem is not the root path itself, but the -fullPath method:

- (NSString *)fullPath {
return result = parent ? [[parent fullPath] stringByAppendingPathComponent:relativePath] : relativePath;
}

If the fullPath of the root item should be returned, this just returns its relative path. This works because for "/", the full and the relative path are the same. If your root item should be /Users, the full path is "/Users", but the above method returns just "Users", therefore rendering all subsequent child item's paths useless. To get it working in a quick'n'dirty way, I tried the following (it works):

1) Add a new ivar called rootPath
2) In -initWithPath:parent: check whether the parten item passed is nil. If so, set the path passed as the rootPath
3) Modify the -fullPath method to look like this:

- (NSString *)fullPath {
return result = parent ? [[parent fullPath] stringByAppendingPathComponent:relativePath] : rootPath;
}

Marco