On Sep 3, 2008, at 23:32, Markus Spoettl wrote:

I don't know about how to make this work with compound views - by that I mean views containing other standard Cocoa subviews. I can imagine things get considerably more difficult because those sub views all have their own event handling implemented (mouse, keyboard). I also failed to make this work in my early tests, if I remember correctly the hitTest thin never worked (I could be wrong - it was several months back).

For this to work you need to implement a custom NSCollectionViewItem subclass that overwrites -setSelected:. ...

Well, for me the answer is somewhat academic, since I gave up and moved on. But, what you describe makes sense, because the individual views do get their events, and programmatic selection does work. However, the limitation is that this drives the selection mechanism down into individual views, and forces you to reinvent all the selection interface behavior, as it applies to the collection as a whole.

The IconCollection sample code doesn't do this. If you drag over the collection, you get a marquee rectangle that selects everything inside it. I see no code to do this (beyond the hitTest override at the individual view level), so I concluded that this behavior is in NSCollectionView itself.

The puzzling part was that I could find no way to enable this behavior in my own NSCollectionView, and I think that's (basically) what the OP was saying too.

No doubt I missed something obvious, but considering that prototype NSCollectionItem bindings also appear to be broken currently, any time spent fiddling with NSCollectionView felt to me like a waste.