At one point, my application blocks the runloop and I have to poll for mouse events by calling [NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:]. I'm not happy with the polling. It seems to me that creating a separate thread and configuring its runloop to process the events I'm interested in (specific mouse events for a specific window) is a more elegant solution. I couldn't find any example code doing that. I suspect that it's not possible for third-party developers to tap into the event stream coming from the window server, to create a CFRunloopSource similar to the one that feeds the main runloop.

This isn’t really polling as much as taking over the runloop and filtering out some events. There’s nothing really inelegant about this— it’s the call that powers the tracking loop in most of the controls in AppKit. If you really wanted, you could shuffle off the events to another thread for processing later.