On Sep 7, 2008, at 9:33, Roman Kishchenko wrote:
Hi,
I am new to Cocoa and have been experimenting with NSRunLoop. I would
appreciate clarification about 'run' method semantics. The documentation
states that:

"If no input sources or timers are attached to the run loop, this method
exits immediately"

Yet, in my thread example below, the 'run' invocation blocks and does not exit. MyThread is a simple NSThread subclass. No custom input sources or
timers are registered with the run loop. Unless I misunderstand the
documentation or there are some 'hidden' input sources or timers are
registered with the run loop, I would expect 'run' to exist immediately.
Would much appreciate help with sorting this out!

Thanks,
Roman Kishchenko

@implementation MyThread

- (void)main {
   NSLog(@"++ start");
   NSRunLoop *loop = [NSRunLoop currentRunLoop];
   [loop run];
   NSLog(@"++ finish");
}

@end

This has come up before several times on this list over the years, so there are a few answers already in the archives. But I have an idea for a new way to explain it.

The documentation is correct. However, it's trying to warn you that the method *can* return, not explain how to get it to return.

The mistake people make is in assuming that they control the contents of a run loop (or even a run loop mode). However, the run loop is a global object, accessible to all code run on that thread (and perhaps other threads if you squirrel away a copy of the pointer somewhere). In particular, all frameworks that you call into, directly or indirectly, may access it and do things to it, including putting things in it.

I think you are intuiting exactly this when you mention "custom" and "hidden" input sources.

Try the -run...BeforeDate: method in a conditional loop if you want block in the run loop most of the time, but want to bail under some conditions (which would then be the test of the loop).

Chris Kane
Cocoa Frameworks, Apple