In my mind, the installer issue is an issue of trust.

Do you trust the "installer" of an application to install the
application in the best interest of the user. Do you trust that the
installer won't install things you don't want. Do you trust that the
installer provides a way to uninstall the application completely when
its done.

The resounding answer to all of these questions is NO. This is one of
the primary reasons why the Windows platform gets a black eye.
Applications typically recklessly install themselves, overwriting
other applications data, installing additional unwanted features deep
into the operating system without the user being told resulting in
spyware, nagware or annoyware under the guise of providing the user
some wonderful feature.

I've worked on many platforms for many years, from Windows to many
varieties of Unix to mainframes.

I believe that the only way to solve this problem of trust is to not
trust the installer.

That means that the operating system provides rigid constraints on
what the installer can do without asking the operating system.

Two options work:
1. Do not allow the application to modify anything that can affect
other applications or the system overall. In my mind this is the
typical Mac OS X approach today doing a manual install. The
application is contained within one directory (bundle). The user can
place that application wherever they want. It does NOT need to be a
priviledged location.

2. If an application must modify the system beyond its own bounds,
then the installer is forced to run within a sandbox controller by the
operating system. The operating system provides an API through which
ANY system modification is done. In this way the operating system can
audit and log any activities the installer is doing. In this way the
operating system can ensure that the operations can be undone to
completely remove the application at a later time. A user could
potentially use the install log to determine if unwanted activities
have occurred.

To emphasize what others have said... if Mac OS X moves away from its
current manual install model, it risks the same installer abuses
common in the WIndows world and one of its primary advantages over
Windows will have been lost.

>From a security perspective, I deride any Mac OS X application which
requires an installer. I have never seen one which allowed me to
install in a non privileged location.

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 9:21 AM, Scott Anguish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> probably best not to debate this particular aspect of things...
>
> As I said, I'll about getting this clarified in the docs, and a consistent
> message in it.
>

> On 10-Sep-08, at 3:40 AM, Charles Srstka wrote:
>
>> On Sep 9, 2008, at 4:26 PM, Bill Cheeseman wrote:
>>
>>> The poster didn't say why he assumes the Software Delivery Guide to be
>>> more
>>> authoritative. The only evidence I'm aware of is that the Software
>>> Delivery
>>> Guide was last updated over two years ago, in July 2006, before Leopard
>>> was
>>> released. The PackageMaker User Guide is a year newer, and it states that